Monday 2 April 2018

EVALUATION Q3a: Audience Engagement

EVALUATION Q3a: How do your products engage with audience
For this question I decided to make 4 different videos: 2 digipak unwrapping videos, a Q and A video session live on twitter and a radio interview with Astrid S talking about audience feedback for her latest music video and website, how it impacted in the production of the video and website and about how web 2.0 is allowing audience to participate actively, especially through social media.

The first thing I did for this question was make 2 digipak unwrapping videos. In the first unwrapping video I am a fan of Astrid S called Ashley who has just bought the new digipak by Astrid S.  

However, before I present these videos, I will state some points about my target audience. After doing some initial research into the audience for Astrid S, I discovered that her primary main audience is females aged 15-24. I looked at Astrid S's existing Facebook page and I found some really useful videos for audience. They are videos which follow Astrid S's fans. I could tell that most of Astrid S's fans were females aged 15-24 from these videos. Here is the 1st video that I found: This video follows some of Astrid S's fans waiting to see her live for her concert in Amsterdam. 
...

...
All the fans who were interviewed and shown on camera were female aged 15-24. Also, these fans may have been dutch since this specific concert that these fans were waiting for was in Amsterdam. 


I noticed that most of the females especially in this video had a 'Brandy Melville' or 'arty' style, Brandy Melville is a clothing store which has quite simplistic, comfy clothing for females which consist of the colours: black, white, beige, cream, burgundy, grey, light brown. 



Here is the second video I found on Astrid S's Facebook. This is a video created by Spotify, where Spotify invite the 20 people who have listened to Astrid S the most on Spotify to an exclusive meeting and intimate concert at Universal Music Norway with Astrid S.  
...

...
Yet again all the fans who were shown in this video on camera were females aged 15-24 with one male who was between 15-24 also. These fans may have been all Norwegian since the setting of the video is in Norway. They all look Scandinavian. 


I have also discovered that since Astrid is touring in mainly Scandinavian countries + The Netherlands at the moment, this could mean her primary target audience is females aged 15-24 from Scandinavian/European countries. 







I also asked my friend James who he thought the target audience would be for Astrid S since I have shown him her music and her style, he responded with this. He said he has a 14 year old sister and an 11 year old sister and they don't listen to electropop genre music yet, but instead they listen to pop music such as Katy Perry, Selena Gomez and Marshmello. 





He said he thinks the target audience for Astrid S is females aged 16-24. 
His 14 year old sister listens to rap and hip hop he said, this could relate to how hip hop and rap music is quite mainstream and at that age girls and boys don't know who they are yet and they are just trying to fit in with the mainstream crowd who listens to rap and hip hop. 




After all this research I discovered that I believe that Astrid S's target audience is females aged 15/16-24 with the secondary audience being males aged 15/16-24. This research has helped me a hell of a lot in determining Astrid S's main primary + secondary audience.  

A way I tried to attract the aged 15-24 primary audience was by having characters in my music video which were aged 17-18. I believed that this would attract a young female and male audience aged 15-24 since there is one 17 year old male character and one 18 year old female character. Also, having looked at many other electropop examples like Halsey, Charli XCX and MØ, I have discovered that their target audience is females aged 15/16-24. This also influenced my idea and decision that the target audience for Astrid S is females aged 15-24.

I still think, however, though, that Astrid S has a secondary audience of tweens aged 10-14. This is because she has easy, language free lyrics and the pop genre side to her music attracts a core audience of people aged 10-14 or perhaps even younger like 8-9 year olds. However, after looking at Astrid S's existing music videos, I discovered that the content in them is sometimes a bit inappropriate for children aged 8-14 e.g. kissing neck, clothing slightly revealing. Also after watching and listening to the track I had chosen to use for my music video - 'Bloodstream', I discovered that there were some slightly inappropriate, edgy lyrics - "touching me gently, holding me close, breathe on my skin, lips down my body".

For gender, I discovered after looking at many examples such as Halsey, Charli XCX, Mabel, MØ, Lorde, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, that the primary target gender audience for electropop is females because for a start, the majority of artists in the electropop genre are female which brings me to my point on Dennis McQuail's 'Uses and Gratifications' theory - one of the gratifications in his theory is personal identity; since the artist, Astrid S is a female aged 20, this can attract a female audience because they can identify with the artist and relate to them. The pop side of the electropop genre attracts a strong female audience and the electronic genre side attracts more of a male audience. 

DIGIPAK UNWRAPPING VIDEOS
...
Ashley, a fan of Astrid S, unwrapping Astrid S's new digipak after buying it in the store, HMV:


...
Astrid S unwrapping her new digipak:


...

Q AND A VIDEO SESSION LIVE ON TWITTER
Secondly, I decided to do a live Q and A video session with the fans on twitter, with me being Astrid S and people sending in questions through the comments. I made a post saying "Guess what guys! Tonight I am doing a live video Q and A session on my latest products! Comment below questions and I'll answer some of them tonight see you soon"
Here are the questions that the fans commented on that post:

1. On what platforms will I be able to listen to your new album?

2. Where can I buy your merchandise? I really want a hoodie with your logo on it


3. I really want to stay updated on ur new music and events so do you have any other social media other than Twitter?

4. I saw you perform live like 2 years ago when you only had some EPs out so I really want to see you live again now performing ur new album! do you have any concerts coming up?


5. What is your favourite track on the new album?

6. I've loved your music ever since your first EP - 2AM! Does this new album have a special edition of some kind?

7. How do I subscribe to your latest music and news?

8. I love youuu!! Where can I buy your new album?! 


...

...
The Script:


"Hey guys! It's astrid here and I am going to be doing a Q and A session that I posted on twitter a few hours ago and yeah I asked you guys to send me questions which I will answer in this Q and A session right now and I've got my tea with me so it's going to be good. 
So, let's go on twitter. 

I'm getting many questions, okay let's start, so orlahogan7, on "what platforms will I be able to listen to your new album?" So, you can get my new album on my website, when you go on my website there are social icons in the top list which will take you to all my social media and all the music platforms where you can listen to my album. So there is Spotify, Deezer, YouTube, Soundcloud, Google Play and you can also listen to my album on my website so  when you scroll down on the homepage there's a music section which has got my new album on it. Also you can go to my Merch store on my website which is in the top list on my website. And basically you can get my album either digitally as a digital download, you can either get the deluxe version or the standard version, and you can also get the vinyl version of my album, so there is the standard vinyl and then theres the deluxe vinyl and then there is the deluxe autographed vinyl album which I autographed myself so yeah quite special. You can also get the digipak version of my album which is the deluxe version and yeah it's like this big, so yeah. And I think that's about it for the platforms where you can get my new music from yeah, there's also youtube where you can watch my music videos and can get  there music from there so, yeah, so I hope that answers your question.

So, next question, richard dannenberg, diamonddog844 so "where can I buy your merchandise, I really want a hoodie with your logo on it!"

...

RADIO INTERVIEW WITH ASTRID S ABOUT AUDIENCE FEEDBACK
Thirdly, I decided to make a radio interview with Astrid S about her latest music video for bloodstream, her latest album and new website. I also discuss Web 2.0 and how my audience participated actively, helping in the production of my products through the audience feedback that I got on my music video, digipak and website. 

In this video I, as Astrid S, specifically focus on the term "former audience" by Dan Gillmor who suggested that the passive audience is now gone and that the audience now has "the tools to change traditional media and create media for themselves". I also discuss how through lot of audience feedback for my three products of the promo package (digipak, website and music video), my audience ended up as participating in the "producing" of my products. Below the video you can find the script that I created for this radio interview.

...

...
The Script:

Interviewer: Good evening everybody, it's Sunday evening on Radio Urban, it's Denise with you. Today in the studio we have the upcoming Norwegian sensation, Astrid S, who is going to talk to us about her latest music video for the track "Bloodstream" and how audience feedback has had an effect on the products she has created for her new album 'Bloodstream'. Welcome and thank you for coming!

Astrid: Thanks for having me.

Interviewer: You're very welcome Astrid.  So, tell us about your new music video!

Astrid: Well the video is about a girl, aka me, struggling after a harsh breakup with her ex lover who she had been in a relationship with for a few years. Basically its about her going to all the places that she went with him to and being haunted by him, he is everywhere she goes. The video takes us through her journey of grief after the breakup. Also not forgetting but this narrative is 
cross-cut with, ofcourse, frequent shots of me singing or lip syncing and performing in the video as well. 

Interviewer: And how does it end?

Astrid: Well, you are going to have to go watch it on my website or my YouTube Channel to find out!

Interviewer: Hear that folks, to check it out, go to Astrid s's website! Sounds very interesting. 
So Astrid, could you tell us about how your audience helped in creating your newest products? 

Astrid: 
I believe that the audience participated in the production of my products. Dan Gillmor who is a web 2.0 theorist talks about the former audience and says that the audience have the tools to create media themselves. Throughout the course of producing the 3 products, my website, my music video and my album design in vinyl, digipak and digital form, I did get some audience feedback but not all of it was reflected in my products. My album design, however, may not have looked the same though, without the audience feedback that I got. 

Interviewer: Can you give me some examples of particular audience feedback that helped you produce your music video and album design?

Astrid: Oh yeah, so basically some things they said were that there is too much repetition in editing pace like always cutting to the beat and also that there were some bad lip syncing from me which is something you do not want since in the music video world lip syncing is a very common convention to see, it is really important to have. Also they said that the narrative is slightly unclear and that there should be more scenes of the couple together before the breakup. 

Interviewer: I agree with how lip syncing has to be properly synced with the track playing and how editing pace needs to vary for example by not always cutting to the beat, those are the things I always notice first when I watch a music video! But in terms of the narrative being unclear, what did you do to make it clear?

_________________________________________________________________________

I made a link list on my blog called 'Audience Feedback' and this is where you can find all my audience feedback for my music video, website and digipak. With every rough cut I tried to get audience feedback, even if it was from just one person. 


For the first few rough cuts I got it through something called Microsoft Office Teams which we use for media in our school to send things to teach other and for our teacher to send notifications/updates and feedback. We have teams called Media Y13 and Media Y10-13. I posted my cuts in the Media Y10-13 team and asked if people in the team could post some feedback for me and I got quite a bit.

Below you can find the links to some of my audience feedback that I got for my 3 products:

WEBSITE
Audience Feedback 2: Artist Logo Font 

MUSIC VIDEO
Audience Feedback 1: Sample Scene 1
Audience Feedback 3: Rough Cut 2
Audience Feedback 4: Rough Cut 3
Audience Feedback 5: Rough Cut 4

Also during the production process, in order to really connect with audience and fans, I created a competition on the social media I created for Astrid. The competition included  fans having to create a video of them dancing to the song 'bloodstream' and the best dance routine would win a chance to hang out with the artist Astrid S and get a free astrid_s T-shirt and a signed/autographed copy of the deluxe album digipak. 

I put this competition in a twitter post on Astrid 's twitter and instagram (the social media I set up for the artist) and then I set up 3 different twitter accounts (mimicking fans) who would comment/reply to this post with a video of them dancing to the song bloodstream. The accounts - '@orlahogan7', '@diamonddog844' and '@SophieRasmuss20' all commented/replied to the post with a video of them dancing and lip syncing to the song bloodstream. 

Here are all these videos that were commented on astrids_music's competition post:
...
posted by @orlahogan7





...
posted by @diamonddog844




...
posted by @SophieRasmuss20



...
After all the videos were posted I created, as Astrid S, a competition video for the winner of the competition - I added images of Astrid S hanging out with the winner since in the post one of the prizes was to hang out with Astrid S. 

COMPETITION WINNER VIDEO
...

...

No comments:

Post a Comment