Sunday 3 September 2017

GREENSCREEN: Setting Up Your Own

While I was in England in the summer holidays I asked my dad to help me try and set up a greenscreen studio in one of the rooms in our house. I found a suitable room upstairs (rectangular shaped bedroom) which has entirely white walls and two simple windows. I decided on the wall to place the greenscreen sheet on. 

Here are some photos of the greenscreen 'studio' my dad and I set up at my house in England:

...
Firstly, to stick the greenscreen up on the wall, I had the idea of using bluetac. This idea did not work whatsoever. Then, I tried to use pins, this was even worse of an idea. Then, my dad came to help me and he had the idea of using masking tape. He stook some yellow/beige tape on the wall first so that he wouldn't be sticking the masking tape onto pure painted wall, otherwise the wall paint would come off with the tape. After he stook that on, he attached the grey masking tape half onto the greenscreen and half onto the wall, as you can see on the left. On top of this, he decided to lean some heavy things (wood and metal) onto the greenscreen so it wouldn't fall down.
...
My dad also went to Screwfix to get an LED light/two LED lights on one stand for the 'greenscreen studio' which you can see here. After the greenscreen was set up on the wall, we brought in the LED lights and set the camera in position (I used a gorillapod here to keep the camera in the right place - I wrapped the gorillapod around the metal headboard). 




...
After this, I did some research into how to set up your own greenscreen studio at home. I watched a video about it and discovered that if there is a window in the room, you have to cover it with big black curtains. I figured we didn't have any black curtains so instead I found big sheets to throw over the lilac curtains and many dark things to cover up any light coming in. 






...
To improve this, my dad came up with the idea of using black plastic sheeting to cover the windows. He would cut the plastic sheeting to fit the window shape exactly. So we did that and it turned out exactly how I wanted. No light could get through. 









...

Once we had done all that, we discovered that the greenscreen still wasn't bright enough. So, my dad went back to Screwfix and bought a single Halogen light with a handle. These lights are extremely bright. Once we added this to the set up, the greenscreen was a lot more lit up than with just the LED lights, as you can see on the left. I had no idea that LED lights weren't actually that bright. 





...







...















...

No comments:

Post a Comment