Thursday 4 January 2018

WEBSITE: Font Research

Before I decide on a font for my website and digipak, I have done some research into existing fonts for electropop artists and some artists from other genres. 

Charli XCX (electropop):





Tokio Myers (pop, electronic, classical): 




Astrid S (electropop):





Post Malone (hip hop):



MØ (electropop):










Mabel (electropop):






After looking at these I have decided that my favourite art the fonts for Charli XCX, Post Malone and Mabel. I think they are quite groovy, electro, techno, disco looking. This has now told me what kind of fonts to start looking for on dafont.com, a website I have used many times for AS Media Studies. 

I have now looked through a lot of the fonts under the category: 'Techno/Sci-Fi' and in 'Retro'. I took screenshots of all these fonts I found and liked:
...
Logotronik












...
Univox












...
Plexifont BV












...
Dylovastuff












...
Yummy!












...
Bisurk












...
Slurp













Once I downloaded all these fonts, I uploaded them onto wix.com so that I can use the fonts on wix.com while editing my website. I applied each font to the title 'ASTRID S' sometimes like 'ASTRID_S' to see what all the fonts would look like on my website:
...
Yummy!

Incopins Clusters



Dylovastuff




Bisurk




Logotronik




Slurp


Plexifont BV



I would say my personal favourite out of all these fonts is the last one 'Plexifont BV'. I think it looks the most unusual, striking and cool. I think the 4th one is too light and thin. My two least favourites are the 2nd and 3rd ones. I think they are kind of boring and not the right style I'm looking for. However, now, I am going to do some audience research, I'm going to ask many people which fonts they like best out of these through a Facebook survey which all my Facebook friends can see.

I searched on google how to create a survey through Facebook and I found this link which told me what to do. 

Here is the process I took:
...













































Then, you can look at the results for your survey:















The results from the survey revealed to me that the bold, bigger fonts seemed to be the most well-liked and favoured, e.g. the 'logotronik' font, the 'dylovastuff' font, the 'incopins clusters' font and the 'yummy' font. I also discovered this not only from the survey, but also from a facebook chat group I made where I asked my friends on Facebook what they thought of all the 7 fonts. They told me that they thought the rest were too thin and hard to read and see:
...














...














...

The results narrowed my choices down to the bold fonts. I looked through them all again and decided that actually I didn't like any of them. This meant I would have to do more research and find another font which is bold and striking. Then I remembered, I REALLY like the existing font for the album title of Post Malone's album 'Stoney':
...
I spent loads of time trying to find this font online somewhere to download and eventually I found a very similar font like this and where to download it from. I found it on dafont.com. It was called 'Planet Kosmos'. 




'Planet Kosmos' font










1 comment:

  1. Good post - tho take care to use specific font terms! Also make it clear/explicit what the screenshots are of, and hyperlink the source
    I'd advise against plexifont (or slurp or bisurk), but the others you show would all work well. Interesting that your artist is the only example you show with a fairly plain font.

    ReplyDelete